How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I own my house with my partner of 14 years we have 2 children

This answer was rated:

I own my house with my partner of 14 years we have 2 children and after a family disagreement can i stop them entering my property.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

Is it your partner, your children, or all three whom you wish to stop entering your property?

And how old are the children?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes mac its my girlfriend of 14 trs and yes they are my children 2 and 9 and its her mum and dad with partners,i wish to stop after a disagreement to stop them crosssing the threshold of my joint held morgaged property.






Hello Ian,

You cannot stop your girlfriend (as she owns the property with you) from entering, or your children.

It is slightly more complicated with her family, but ultimately yes you could stop them coming in. It would be sensible in any event for your partner to agree that they won't come round if you didn't agree, otherwise you could both bring back people who would annoy the other, which would make life fairly intolerable for both of you.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you