How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35039
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I separated after 16 years, we have two daughters

Customer Question

My partner and I separated after 16 years, we have two daughters one is 12 the other 14 in July, I have them stay with me every other weekend. I also have them every Saturday and Wednesday. My children have been asking to live with me for the last few months because of arguments at home, on several occasions I have had to go and calm them down at my ex-partners home, however now they are talking of running away from their mothers home if I don't take them. I have no problem in having them, yes I would have to find a bigger home but financially I can support them and as I own my own company I can take whatever time I need to. The problem is my ex-partner will not agree to them living with me, and I don't want her to take it out on my children. Please can you advise me on anything I can do..thamkyou
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the actual problem they are having with their mother?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They say that she never has time for them since she has got a new guy, when the two of the girls argue and fight she just walks away from it, also they ask for things like a new haircut or a new mouse just recently for their computer and she says that she has no money all the time, but she has money for take aways for her and her boyfriend

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did reply to your question did you not get it?
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
My apologies for the delay
Given their ages the wishes of your daughters will be very important if the matter has to go to court.
However it would obviously be better if the matter could be dealt with out of court
Your starting point is to arrange to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation and a Mediator trained to work with young people so that your daughter's views can be brought to the negotiations.
If that fails then you will have to apply for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the girls live with you
More information here
Please ask if you need further details