How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi. I am recently separated from my husband of 8 years. He

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am recently separated from my husband of 8 years. He left 3 months ago to live with another woman. I am in the marital home with my children (not his) aged 19 and 17. I wouldlike to know if he has any legal obligation to contribute to the mortgage which is £6o,ooo, and paying £400 a month. As i have had to take over all bill payments, living costs etc i have now gone through my savings and will struggle to pay the mortgage. Thank you
Thank you for your question.

He has a duty to contribute to the mortgage if it's in his name or in joint names. More importantly he has a duty of maintenance towards you as his wife, depending on your respective incomes and expenditures. You should be seeing a solicitor with a view to making a claim for maintenance and if necessary other claims in respect of the running of the household. Do not delay in doing this as you don't want the passage time to be used against you and affect any claim you might have.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don,t know his precise income but it is roughly double mine of £940 net. as for expenditure as he is living with a woman who owns her own house i would presume it to be half of all household bills. can you give me a rough idea of an amount of maintenance i could expect to receive per month? How much would it cost to see a solicitor?


It's not possible to tell you what the maintenance requirement would be as we would have to see schedules of income and expenditure, but you would expect to be place in a financial situation that you could pay the mortgage and bills and look after yourself.

A solicitor's charges can vary depending on the size of firm and the location but you would expect to pay typically about £200 per hour plus.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you