How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I would like to ask if I can claim a portion of my ex-husband'

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like to ask if I can claim a portion of my ex-husband's pension if he should die. Neither of us has re-married and I am living on a state pension. I am trying to get employment but it is difficult in view of my age and I am not having much success.

Jill Camden
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When was the Decree Absolute and was a final financial order made at that time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,


The Decree Absolute was in January (I think), 2006. I had the proceeds of the house but he had somewhere to go (which he denied in his affidavit). He begged me not to claim any of his pension at the time which I foolishly thought was fair (his pension totalled £700,000) He did give me a further cash sum which I needed to refurbish the property. It was left to us at the time to decide the split but now I feel I was coerced into the settlement.



How much capital did you receive in total?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Approx £200,000

Then I am afraid that you have no actual claim against his pension
He can nominate you to receive part of it if he wishes - but he cannot be forced to do so and sadly there os no other action that you can now take
I am sorry to give bad news
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you