How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my foster child had her surname changed by her step dad, she

Customer Question

my foster child had her surname changed by her step dad, she is in care and is now 19 and uses the name on her birth certificate and not the name of her step dad is she allowed to do this
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a Change o fName deed in existence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have been told there is
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Then technically she need to sign another one - but the fact that she has a Birth Certificate in the name that she uses means that she does not need to do so until she wishes to change a Passport - or any similar official documentation.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details