How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex-partner is talking about taking my child to spain for

This answer was rated:

My ex-partner is talking about taking my child to spain for a 6 week holiday, but keeps hinting that she will stay in Spain, what are my options?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what links does your ex have with Spain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The child is only 6 months old, my ex has a friend in Spain
I am named on the child's birth certificate as the father.

How will she finance the trip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure how she is getting the cash together for the flights

What contact do you have with your child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see her every week, she stay's overnight one night a week.

Are you willing to agree to the holiday if the child is returned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am , and I have told my ex this.

In that case put that in writing - that you agree to a six week holiday and no more.
If she does stay longer then you can make an application to the Courts in Spain using the Hague Convention for the return of the child to the Uk so that the UK courts can consider whether or not a move to Spain would be in the best interests of the Child
You can read more on the website here
If you do not wish her to go at all then you can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order - and again the court will decide if the holiday is in the best interests of the child.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you