How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I,ve been living with my partner for 12 yrs and the relationship

This answer was rated:

I,ve been living with my partner for 12 yrs and the relationship is ending. I have two children aged 16 and 13 which he has brought up as his "own" since they were 3 and 6 months they both call him dad the problem is he owns the house as I am not credit worthy, but I pay the council tax the TV licence and the gas and electric for the home where do I stand? Really need your help. Sarah .
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you made any financial contribution to the mortgage or to any improvement or alterations to the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't. Not to the mortgage or alteration s around the house just bills

Has he made it plain that he wishes you to leave?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The situation is that the relationship has ended and yes he wants me to leave and he keeps reminding me that he owns the house

I am afraid that the fact that the children are not legally his - either biological or by adoption means that he has no legal responsibility for them and accordingly you cannot use the Children ActT
This means that all you are entitled to is "Reasonable written Notice " to leave.
In your circumstances this should be at least three months.
You can try and negotiate - suggesting a lump sum to enable you to rehouse yourself earlier, but your position is not strong I am afraid.
I appreciate that this is bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you