How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

UK law.Complicated because I am actually resident in France.I

This answer was rated:

UK law.

Complicated because I am actually resident in France.

I have just been forced to start divorce proceedings against my wife.

This issue does not come under French law it is totally an English law issue

We have 3 properties that are jointly owned in the UK and one which
which is jointly owned in South Africa
there is also a property in the UK which is totally in my wife's name
(my stupid mistake)

All of these properties have been paid for 100% from my earnings

What can I do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
So you have issued divorce proceedings her in England.
how long gave you been married and are there any children involved.
What are the assets worth and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

sorry for not replying but your response came at 1.25 am my time.


Divorce proceeding in France as we are both French resident so it can not be done in the UK.


However French courts have no jurisdiction over property outside of France.


The issue is what can I do under English law with regards ***** ***** owned UK properties.


The value of the UK properties is approximately £390,000

May I ask why you believe that the french divorce cannot deal with the UK assets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is simply that they have no jurisdiction over assets not in France
This is based on advice by my French lawyer

That is not in fact entirely correct
French family law can deal with the issue of properties owned here in the Uk - and any Order can be enforced here
Accordingly any application you make here is likely to be "stayed" by the Court on the basis that it should be dealt with within the divorce proceedings - Case law is here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

You are most welcome