How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex partner and I are separated, and I live in the rented

This answer was rated:

My ex partner and I are separated, and I live in the rented home which is in my sole name, she lives elsewhere now, can I get any sort of order to prevent her from approaching me or my home, as I feel intimidated by her presence
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is she actually doing that disturbs you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

Recently she has been violent to me for which she was arrested, but she was released as "No Further Action" as apparently she admitted the assault on myself. But not cautioned.

She has since been violent towards me again.

She has been verbally aggressive towards my self since our separation, and is continuing to attempt to approach friends in an verbally aggressive manner.

She has also made verbal and written threats towards my new partner. And continues to do so.

She has refused to give up a key to the property, which leaves my security at risk

She came to the home in the presence of a police officer and removed some items, and paperwork, and was verbally aggressive towards me in the presence of the police officer

I fear for my homes security, my own well being and that of my new partner.

The police have advised me to contact a solicitor as this has now become a civil matter.

I really do not want to have to call the police to the home again if she becomes aggressive or violent.

Thank you


When was the last incidence of violence and how long ago did you separate?
Have you arranged for the locks to be changed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The last incidence was on the 17th of June this year (Violence) and verbal the 19th of June xxxx

We separated about two weeks ago

No not changed the locks yet, should I ?

Thank you


has she now collected all her belongings?
Are there any joint assets that need to be divided?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya Claire

All her belongs that she wanted have been collected.

No joint assets to be divided

Thank you

The starting point is to get permission from your landlord to change the locks so that you feel safe in your home.
There is no other action that it would be reasonable or cost effective to take at this point - any court Order that you obtain is initially enforced by calling the police - and frankly you may as well simply wait and do so if she turns up or continues to threaten you
If you feel that you do at least wish to warn her off the you can pay a solicitor £100 or so to write her a letter threatening a non molestation injunction of she ocntinues to threaten you - but to be frank calling the police if she does threaten you is more effective
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.