Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor

dear sirs can i legely get married as my wife then left

dear sirs can i legely get married as my wife then left me 20 years ago and have not seen or heard from her since

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you were legally married in the UK previously then you will not be legally able to marry again until you have divorced.

It would be quite unusual for you to be divorced and not know about it but you can see the way that you can check whether or not a divorce decree was granted on the following link:¬

If there is no record of a divorce decree after you have carried out a search then this means that you are not divorced in England and Wales and must therefore divorce before attempting to re-marry

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,