How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my child has dual nationality he was born and living in the

This answer was rated:

my child is going to have (US and British) dual nationality he was born and living in the uk. his father is in states. can my ex take my child to us with out my consent now that he is dual nationality? we not married and I live uk with my son.

Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The fact that he has dual nationality does not change anything at all.
Your ex would need your permission or an order from the court to take the child out of the country - and if he takes the child without permission then you can use the Hague Convention on abducted children to get the courts in the States to Order the return of the child to the UK.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we got the appointment to do his dual nationality tom. do I have to agree to do passport for him?

Not unless you wish to do so - or you can insist that the passport is sent to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry to ask you again will this give me some sort of right to ask him child support?


You have the right to have child maintenance anyway - and would have done so even if he was not named on the birth certificate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it good idea to do dual nationality for a child? he is telling me it will be good for him in the future as my son is got disability? I am worried he is tricking me to do

I think it would be unwise at this stag e- t can be done when your child is older if your child wishes it
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much.