How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Clare, I have been married for 13years and separated for

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare, I have been married for 13years and separated for 4 years. I have three young children below 11yrs years. My husband recently asked for divorced. I am receiving benefits and he tells me he needs a divorce in order to protect his assets. He does not want a situation where I will come to lay claim on his assets. He is offering to change ownership of the car he bought to me and give me a monthly income of £200 as long as I agree without going to court. Please what is the best way of handling this?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am currently not working, he is a cab driver. On a good day he can earn £250 or more a day. He has a house in Liverpool which he claims he has sold. And a house which he owns with his sister is about to be sold. And I think this is the main reason for saying he wants out because he wants to acquire another property with this. Remember am not living with him so there might be a lot he is hiding away from me.
Who owns the former matrimonial home?
How much child maintenance does he pay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been living in a rented house. and the former matrimonial home was rented. He pays £100 every month towards child maintenance.

Have you applied through the CSA at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I havent


May I ask why not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare I just spoke CSA and based on what they are say they can only work out child maintenance from his gross weekly income as stated in his tax return. But I know he earns more. Is there a way to subpoena him make available his actual earnings?

But it is still a great deal more that he is paying you
The starting point for the division of the assets is 50/50 and the priority for the court is the safe and secure housing of the children - so if there is enough to buy a house for you to live in with them then that is what you will get
You are also entitled to proper child maintenance and possibly spouse maintenance
You should offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation ( and make sure that you get a fair settlement for you and the children
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you