How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

my husband and i split up just under 3 years ago. we had been

Customer Question

my husband and i split up just under 3 years ago. we had been married over 40 years. i found out he was having an affair and although it was over i could not accept it as i had forgiven him many years ago for the same thing. At that time we were both working so he rented a flat. I retired at the beginning of the year because of ill health and he did the same in march and thought he could get help paying the bills. he found that because his name is ***** ***** of the house the house had to be sold so that he can get his money out of it I am living in the house which means i am losing my home which i have i have looked after all the time because he was self employed and didn't earn enough money.I feel as if i brought my children up more or less on my own. We took equity on the house so there will not be a lot of money left after the mortgage is taken out. where do i stand? is there any way i can keep the house and for him to get help from the housing benefit. i cant face loosing my home and my children will not help him because they do not see him any more.i hope you can help me, thank you. I cannot use my name as it would be obvious who i am. please can i use lynn as my name on this occasion
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there?