How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can a solicitor who represented you in a divorce case ... Then

This answer was rated:

Can a solicitor who represented you in a divorce case ... Then be instructed by your next wife to act against you in a separation / divorce case?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you mean the same person or the same firm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The solicitor acted for me in my first marriage. I felt a little uncomfortable and embarrassed to go back , although she was a good solicitor. She also knows a lot of confidential stuff about my first marriage

My current wife won't meet me to discuss our situation ... I want a divorce So today I went to see a specialist family solicitor in a different firm to get his advice.
I told my been to see him and she has said that she will use MY solicitor who handled my first divorce
This has angered and upset next. Can she do this? It's embarrassing!

So much so that I might try to get my original solicitor as my wife hasn't instructed her yet. My original solicitor knows a lot of sensitive information about me and my family
I would expect the solicitor to say that she is not able to represent your current wife because of the potential Conflict of Interest..
It would be possible for someone else in that firm to act for her - but certainly not the same solicitor
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would be the reference for this ? Is it a written code of practice or something?

Indeed there is
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you