How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My estranged wife, has taken out an application for a home

Customer Question

My estranged wife, has taken out an application for a home rights notice on a property that I own.
How does this affect my rights to sell the property.

I owned the property before i met my wife.

She has never payed any thing towards the house.

Short marriage 5 years, she is currently living in Cambridge at an unknown location.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that you will not be able to sell the property whilst the Notice remains unless your wife agrees to the sale and for the proceeds to be held pending a Financial settlement with divorce proceedings.
The Notice can only be lifted with her agreement - or on the making of the Decree Absolute of Divorce
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details