How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter is 18 in July and then going to go in to University.

Customer Question

My daughter is 18 in July and then going to go in to University. I wish to pay my child support direct to her while she attends University and stop paying to my ex-wife. I would start this the week she begins Uni.
Is this legal as my present wife says so, although I was prepared to pay my ex until my daughter finished Uni or would I need agreement from her?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you paying under the terms of a Court Order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


It was agreed as part of the divorce settlement which I am assuming was agreed with the courts.

Not sure if that is one or the same.

It was 14yrs ago and I have lost the agreement.



Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Was there a document dealing with the house etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All was resolved through the divorce settlement with the proceeds of house split something like 60/40 in her favour.

She then went on to buy a new house

I have written to my then solicitor asking him to explain the terms of the settlement.

I am just here on wanting to know where the law stands about paying maintenance direct to the child once at Uni whilst I await him coming back from holiday.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
If the court Order states that you have to pay maintenance to your ex then that is what you have to do - unless she agrees that you can do so - or you apply to the court to vary the order to allow you to pay your child directly
It may be however that if you do simply start paying your child directly when she starts University then your ex will not want the expense f an enforcement application
Please ask if you need further details