How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Due to unreasonable behaviour from my sons father and his partner

This answer was rated:

Due to unreasonable behaviour from my sons father and his partner towards myself I want to know if I can withhold visitation rights from him until resolved by mediation? I am the parent with the residential order and am aware they have been saying bad things to my child which has recently come to a head

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what has your ex actually done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My child is 9 and a half.


He has been sending me nasty messages about my current partner and telling my son that my partner wants to hit him (my ex), none of which is the truth, I just requested that he didn't enter my home without asking me first something he had taken to doing as I live alone. This had distressed my partner (who doesnt reside with me) as he had witnessed the incident some years before.


After some more messages regarding non payment of CSA, I requested he didnt attend a football presentation that I was attending as the nasty stuff he had been saying had upset both myself and his son...he refused this and made to attend..when I then refused to attend his partner started sending me nasty messages, stating I neglected my child and my current partner was abusive and nasty...this went on most of that day

None of that is good reason for stopping contact I am afraid
You can certainly insist that he stays out of your home and you are within your right to chose to attend events that he is also attending - but you have no write to ask him not to attend I am afraid.
With regard to the messages from his partner do not respond to them at all - and tell your ex that if you hear from his partner again you will be reporting the harassment to the police - and do it
However you are correct - the question of what is being said to the child does need to be discussed using Mediation and if that fails THEN a restriction of contact may be appropriate
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you