How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Ive been seperated for 5 years. I have one little boy aged

This answer was rated:

Hi I've been seperated for 5 years. I have one little boy aged 6. My husband and I were not married at the time our son was born, his name is ***** ***** birth certificate. My husband had an affair with the partner he is still with. They have 2 little boys together and she had one little girl from a previous relationship. It's been very turbulent at times but sometimes we are best friends ( my husband and I). We've shared our time with our little boy three days each and he stays with his grandma the 7th day. However there are often more times he stayed with his did for 4 days of the week. My job is very unsociable. His current partner has been going through a bit of a battle with the father of her little girl. Accusations were made against him but later found to be untrue.
I'm wondering g if you could let me know where i stand as a single mother.
My husband insists on telling me I'm not a real parent and that any court would see that my son is better off with him. I know this is not try. I love my boy more than anything and would never lay anything or anyone take him off me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
has he actually threatened to try and change the arrangements?
Which Grandma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No he hasn't threatened to change arrangements he just says when I eventually pay for the divorce ( as he refuses to pay towards it)and get statement tof arrangements for the child that the court will take him off me.
Also I'm starting to have trouble with his new partner. She attends every school play every thing to do with my son at school n things she's there with my ex husband and it's really starting to get to me. I just want to know what rights I have at the moment as I really can't afford to pay for the divorce so I'm having on until I can afford it.
I am afraid that his partner is entitled to attend events with him and you cannot stop it.
However your ex is wrong.
The court will not do anything at all regarding your son when you file the Statement of Arrangements.
The Court only becomes involved if there is a dispute between you and your ex about the care of your child.
You retain Parental Responsibility and if you and your ex cannot agree the child care arrangements then either of you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou so much for your help. You said I retain parental responsiblity. Does that mean I have full parental responsibility now?
My ex husband( soon to be) has his name on the birth certificate. And he always tells me I don't have any responsibility.
You both have Parental Responsibility for the child - and cannot lose it unless the child is adopted