How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi , Sir /Maam , could you help me .How can i change my surname

Customer Question

Hi , Sir /Ma'am , could you help me .How can i change my surname on previous married and use my surname when i was still single ,I just been divorces last year ,I am single mother now. My ex husband asked me not use his surname anymore, so if you could help me ,how and how much it will cost me ...thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do YOU wish to change your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi ! Clare , yes i wanted to change my surname and use my surname when I'm still single .And how much it will cost me. I can mail my all documents my decree nisei and decree absolute ...and passport also.Please could help me , so that i can change all my documents as soon as possible...Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The bank are not correct.
As a married woman who is now divorced you are fully entitled to simply revert to your previous name without any other forms being signed.
Take your Birth Certificate and your Decree Absolute to the bank and ask them to amend their records accordingly.
You have the right to do this - the only think that could cost you money is changing your passport as they charge for every amendment
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details