How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im divorcing my wife and we only got married November last

This answer was rated:

Im divorcing my wife and we only got married November last year and says shes taking me to the cleaners. Everything is in my name mortgage bills the lot. I bought the house last February shes put nothing in. She has a child from he last partner. We have no children together . Can she rwally take me for half
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and how old is her child?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A year in this house. And a couple of months in her cancel house before that I owned my own flat thats how got the money for this house before I was with her. The child is 7 and she still see her dad. I bought the house for 187000 and owe 160000 on it only had it a year so probably worth the same I guess. No other assets

Where was she living prior to living with you?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shes a student and gets student finance. I get around 40000 a year. She was living with the childs father which they rented.

The short nature of your relationship means that she has very little financial claim on you.
However the difference in your earnings and the fact that she gave up a secure tenancy to move in with you does mean that the court would be likely to grant her a modest lump sum in order that she can rehouse herself in alternative rented accommodation.
A figure of £5,000 to £7,500 is likely
There cannot be a divorce until November of this year
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you