How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 15 year old son is living with his dad, my husband. My husband

Customer Question

My 15 year old son is living with his dad, my husband. My husband left 21st august 2013 after i found out he was committing adultery and moved in immediately with his girlfriend. I have found out from a third party that they are moving tomorrow, and my husband won't tell me their new address. My son was only staying with my husband for a short time, in march 2014 while I was in hospital. They asked if it could become permanent. I agreed, knowing that's what my son wanted.
My son, Ben was born in 1998 and my husband and I were married in 2002.
In addition to this my husband has encouraged my son not to have a good relationship with me, has not informed me of other decisions involving school and football (my son plays for Swansea City) and made it very difficult for me to see my son.
Do I have a right to know my sons address? Also as they are moving 20 minutes away from bens school and football training, can I insist that Ben comes back home?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When will your son turn 16?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He will turn 16 on the 10th September 2014
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare,
This has become more urgent as I am now told that they are moving tonight.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The simple fact is that given his age it is for your son to decide which parent he wishes to live with
Whilst legally you are entitled to know his address for the next three months I am afraid that the likelihood of the court taking action is remote
I suggest that you offer to deal with this matter using Family mediation ( and a mediator trained to work with young people so that your son's real views (as opposed to his father's) views can be heard
I know that this is not the answer that you were looking for - but the simple fact is that there is little the court will do to assist you at this point.
However you can insist that the school sends you details of meetings and reports.
Please ask if you need further details