How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter is 18 and will attend university in September -

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 18 and will attend university in September - She currently lives with her mum but will move out and stay in halls of residence. i have asked her mother if i can pay her maintanance direct but she has said NO without giving any sensible response. Is this normal ? can i apply to have this changed ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you pay via the CSA or a Court Order.
If a Court Order when does it say payment should stop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Court Order - at the time of my divorce the children were 12 & 14. so payments had to go direct to their mother. We tried to amend to 16 but Judge at time overuled. Payment will stop when the chldren are 18 or to a first degree course ( 21 ? )

In that case yes I am afraid that you still have to pay the mother unless you apply to the court to vary the Order so that you can pay your daughter directly, as this is what the current order says
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you