How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35055
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im in the process of divorce after a 31 year marriage. Although

This answer was rated:

I'm in the process of divorce after a 31 year marriage. Although he initiated the divorce, my husband has been dragging his feet about financial disclosure. My solicitor organised for me to see a mediator as he says this is the next step before making a court application. I discussed the mediation process at length with her. I can see how it might be a very useful step to avoid litigation.

However, I'd just had this email from my husband and he clearly is quite opposed to it.

" I talked to her [the mediator] on the 'phone and we decided that your behaviour needs to change before we can even consider approaching mediation in an amicable manner. I am concerned that you will use mediation as yet another route to abuse me."

So I'm going to instruct my solicitor to make a court application asap to get financial disclosure. Any other advice or insights you can offer me at this stage, would be most welcome before I talk to my solicitor tomorrow.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The fist thing to say is that there is no question of the mediator having decided any such thing - although the email is of course evidence that in your case mediation has no chance of success.
Your way forward is simple - go ahead with the court route - and try to have no further communication with your ex at all
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you