How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

mY partner and myself are splitting up. I own the property,

This answer was rated:

mY partner and myself are splitting up. I own the property, my name is ***** ***** deeds. Financially, his name is ***** ***** any documentation. I have said that if he does not leave by the date i've set, i will go. I will continue to pay bills and mortage.
My question is, are there any problems that I incurr by leaving the home
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Why is the property in your sole name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth about £210,000 and theres about 30,000 outstanding on the mortgage.

The property is in my sole name because: in 1984 the same partner and I brought our first house in joint names. I paid my partner my half of the mortgage. Within the first year we had a repossession order on the property. He had not paid the mortgage at all. I took out a mortgage solely in my own name on the same property and my partner was happy for this to go ahead. My partner has never had a regular income and has never contributed towards the mortgage.

How long have you lived together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since 1984, we have 1 daughter who is 22 and at university

Did you ever promise that you held the property for both of you?
hHave you discussed him receiving a share of the equity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. When I took the initial property over he signed all of it over to me and is not asking for any money from the house. I have offered him £5,000 on leaving and a further £5,000 later on. I have told him that I do not want to sell the house.

In that case you shoudl give your ex 28 days written notice to leave the property
At the end of that time you can wait until he goes out and change the locks - then pack his belongings up for collection
If you would prefer to leave then there is no risk - but it will be harder to force him out -
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much for the final response.

As long as if I go, he does not have any entitlement to the house and I loose it.

Again thanks

No you do not loose t - but it will be harder to get your ex to leave
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you