How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a married woman whos husband has had an affair and the

This answer was rated:

I am a married woman who's husband has had an affair and the woman is pregnant. My husband want a relationship and to support this child financially. What are my rights as a wife on financial affairs and if he is named on the birth certificate does that mean she can ask for whatever financial help she needs?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
what income does your husband have - and do you have any children together?
What assets does he have (other than your home)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband earns £41k per year plus tips. He is the sole earner. I am a full time housewife. We have 2 children together. One is 3 the other is 5.
What other assets does he have (savings etc) other than your home
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None really. We don't have savings
Whether he is named on the birth certificate or not if he is the biological father then your husbands financial responsibility will be 12% of 86% of his GROSS income - effectively 10.32% of it.
The mother of the child has no other financial claim - although if your husband should die without making any provision for the child then an Inheritance Act claim could be made against any assets held in his SOLE name (not those in joint names)
I am afraid that you have no rights in the matter when it comes to maintenance
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you