How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Sir/Madam,I am a Male of 71 and I have a Female partner

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a Male of 71 and I have a Female partner of 51, we have been together for lmost 15 years, I am a widower and she was devorsed, we both have our own homes without any mortgages, she has rented out her house for the 15 years whilst she has lived in my house, the only things she has paid towards is the following, council tax/electricity,water/gas for the cooker, she has never paid anything towards the heating which includes domestic hot water in the winter, and after the 15 years she has lived in my house the ceptic tank was emptied for the first time within that 15 years and she refused to pay towards it being emptied,
Our relationship completely broke down several years ago, I have asked her many times for us to seperate but all she says is I am not going so you can lump it,
She has tenants moving out of her house at the end of this month and I have asked her to leave at that point, she has a beutifull house to go to, She is not going to be put out on the street,

Please advise, what can I do to get her to move out and into her own house, I have already put it in writing a few years ago, but she will just not leave, can I just change the locks on my house or would that not be leagal,

I cannot think of anything else I can tell you at this point,

Kindest regards,

BW Richardson.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
At this stage you need to write a further letter to her giving her 28 days formal notice to leave
At the end of that period you can indeed change the locks and pack her belongings for collection
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,


Many thanks for your advise,


I carried out your advise and yesterday Sunday 13 July I gave my partner the letter,


She instantly threw it back at me without even opening it and told me to stick it up my A, I think you may guess the rest of that spelling and she put her fingers in her ears and would not listen to anything I had to say,


I tried to tell her the content of the letter and said that I will be following it through,


Please advise what I can do at this point,


Kindest regards,



Take copies of the letter.
Tape it to the bedroom door - and the bathroom door - put a copy on her bed.
Photo it in all places
Leave them up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I carried out your suggestions last night, I copied 6 of my letter and taped them arround as you suggested,


On arrival home from work my partner ripped off and screwed up all of them and for the rest of the evening she was calling me a dispicable B-----d and a few more names to add to its colour,


Do I do anything else or do I now leave it to the end of the 28 days,


I have left it so that from the end of the month when her tennants have moved out it will give her time to move into her house,


Presumably all I now to do is wait???,


I forgot to ask before but can she lay claim to any of my property,


Kindest regards,





What you do now is wait.
Once the 28 days are up wait until she goes out then change the locks, pack yo her belongings for collection, and call the police if she tries to break in.
Keep a copy of the letter and the photo's to show the police if she calls them
She has no financial claim on your property - but you could make a hotel reservation for the first week after she leaves if you are feeling generous.