How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

An individual had an insurance policy on the life of her husband.

This answer was rated:

An individual had an insurance policy on the life of her husband. She was the beneficiary. She died before her husband. The insurance company say it will now be vested into the name of the Executor. The executor is a professional with no personal connection to the deceased or the family. The executor wishes to assign the benefit of the policy to the deceaseds daughter so when the father dies she will benefit. Is there any legal reason why he cannot do this? If it is OK is there any template assignment document that would be suitable? The life company have confirmed there is no cash-in value to this policy so there is no value for IHT purposes, we have this in writing from them. The wife left all her estate to her husband if he survived her which he did.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hello and thanks for your question.

I can't think of any legal reason why what you suggest is not possible.

What is the name of the insurance company concerned? If you can give me that information, I'll see if I can find a suitable template for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for delay only just got in. Yes of course I will give feedback. The insurance company is Friends Life. Pleased to hear we may be able to assign and if you can suggest a template that would be even better.


Many thanks - Jan

Hello again

I've found the form I think you need. I tried to get you a direct link but that didn't work so here's what you need to do:

Copy & paste the above link to go to the Friends Life documents library.

Scroll down to the tab marked "general" - which is second from the bottom of the list.

Click on the + sign.

A long list of documents will then unfold.

About a third of the way down the list, you will see a document called:

Deed of Assignment to Change the Legal Ownership of a Life Assurance Policy.

Click on it, and a PDF document will open, which you can print off.

The number for queries is 0845(###) ###-####/span>, so you can check with Friends' Life that this is the correct form. Yoou will also need to check whether it's the name of the executor that is now the assignor, or whether that remains the name of decceased. If the policy is in joint names of the deceased woman and her husband, then I think that her husband will probably also have to sign the form to assign the benefit of the deceased woman to her daughter.

I would strongly advise you to get advice from a probate solicitor before completing the form.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you