How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been paying the CSA for my daughter who is now 17, however

This answer was rated:

I have been paying the CSA for my daughter who is now 17, however recently I lost my job and broke my arm within the same week. As a result I am currently on benefits and paying just £5 a week (when I was working it was in excess of £290 a month). I am seriously considering selling my house (where I live with my wife and step daughter) and moving in with my 81 year old Mother who needs some basic care now. If I do this I expect to realise about £130k in equity which I want to use to generate an income, possibly via property development. Can my ex-wife/CSA claim on my equity?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When were the CSA first involved (there are three different assessment systems currently operating - I need to work out which one applies)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My first dealings with the CSA was approximately June 2011. I'm not home at the moment so can't look up the exact date, if you need further clarification please let me know.
No that tells me which regime it is!
I am afraid that the CSA will assign a notional 8% income from your assets over £65,000 and will complete an assessment based on that notional income.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you