How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

The mother of my daughter refuses to put my name on birth certificate

This answer was rated:

The mother of my daughter refuses to put my name on birth certificate she lets me see her on certain days and has let her stay overnight,but every week she changes the rules she says i cannot see her anymore then states she does not want her and i can have her this i would be happy to do.Do i have any rights i want to see my daughter but am not able to carry on like this and am in danger of loosing my job because of the stress. I have always paid maintenance more than csa cost have thought of not paying and putting amount in an account so forcing her to take me to court and get it sorted out.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The child is 17 months old

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
It is better for the child (and the parents) if there is a set pattern of contact.
Your starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation ( so that you can agree a Parenting Plan
More details here
At the same time you shoudl discuss acquiring Parental Responsibility for your daughter either via your name being added to the Birth Certificate or your ex signing a parental Responsibility agreement.
If the negotiations fail then you can apply to the Courts for a Child arrangement Order and for a parental Responsibility Order and this will be granted.
Continue to pay child maintenance in line with the calculations here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you