How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has recently died. We were not married or in a civil

This answer was rated:

My partner has recently died. We were not married or in a civil partnership. Unfortunately there is no will to be found. The house we shared is in the sole name of my late partner. Does his next of kin have the legal right to enter the property at will? The police forced neighbours who hold a key to unlock the house to allow them to access his property. In the meantime they went through my belongings and removed some of them too. The police say this us a civil matter.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am sorry for your loss.
How long have you lived together?
How much is the house worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare,
We were together just over 8 years.
The house is worth roughly around £180,000
My initial , immediate concern is whether I am allowed to refuse the next of kin access. I've already been locked out of one room and had personal belongings locked in there or removed from the home.
In the circumstances you can exclude them - indeed could apply to the court for an Order excluding them.
In addition you have a potential financial claim on the property - indeed a court might even give you the right to live there so long as you wish.
I suggest that you change the locks - and get a locksmith to give you access to the locked room.
Write to the nearest relatives and inform them that if they attempt to enter the property again you will make an application to the court for an Occupation Order and claim costs from them.
Send them a lost of your personal property that has been removed and ask for it's return.
Put them on Notice that you intend to make a claim under the Inheritance (provision for Family and Dependents) Act
Since any such claim has to be made within six months of Letters of Administration being granted you should also file a Caveat at the Probate Registry
Finally make a formal complaint to the Senior Station offices at the police Station.
If your possessions have been removed from the property that is theft NOT a civil matter
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Clare. I will digest that and come back to you should I need.
You are most welcome
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you