How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

After 13 years of separation, I have been asked to sign and

This answer was rated:

After 13 years of separation, I have been asked to sign and return a form of Consent Order for the dismissal of my husbands previous Petition for Divorce. the letter states that once I have returned the form it will be submitted to the court and once the court has agreed to withdraw the previous Proceedings, they will be in a position to to present a new Petition to the Court based on our 5 year separation.

My husband originally started divorce proceedings
in June 2000.

What exactly would I be consenting to. There are certain financial issues that I would like resolved and I do not want to compromise my situation in any way.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What issues do you wish to have resolved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When we parted my husband was earning approximately £45k , I'm guessing he's on about £55k now (grade 7 civil servant) I was earning about £22k.


Due to behavioural issues of my youngest son and my poor health I gave up work in 2005 and supported us with cleaning, childcare and general household duties.


At the time of our separation our children were 11, 9 and 7 years old.


My husband paid the mortgage which has varied between £500 and £600 a month over the years. The house was recently valued at £700k, the mortgage of £125k ends March 2017 but the endowment policy has a short fall of £65k. My husband has never contributed a penny to the upkeep of the house or the children and made it perfectly clear that he wanted as little to do with us as possible.

It was a violent marriage and I felt safer not seeking financial help from him.


I will have a small work pension of about £7k per annum, his pension should be 60% of his final salary. I believe I am entitled to half his pension and obviously half of the house. I would like to keep the house free of any debt and he keep all his pension.


I am 58 years old, he is 60.


My 3 children (24, 22 and 20) are still at home and although they are not seen as dependants 2 of them are apprentices on very low incomes.



What offer of settlement has he made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only communication I have had from him is the letter from his solicitor about the Consent Order. I am just trying to prepare myself and see what I may be entitled to.

At this stage all you are agreeing to is the dismissal of the original petition so that a new one can be issued.
You need to be aware that there is no defence to a Petition based on five tears separation - but you can delay matters while you ask the court to consider your financial position - including pension provision
When writing back with your consent I suggest that you point out that the finances will have to be dealt with and inviting them to agree to a mutual early disclosure of your respective financial positions
Without knowing the Cask Equivalent Transfer Value of his pension it is impossible to assess how realistic your plan is - but do not fear - you will still have the chance to deal with it
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare.