How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my ex partner was sent to jail for domestic abuse to me and

This answer was rated:

my ex partner was sent to jail for domestic abuse to me and my son over 2 and half years ago I have allowed him to see our son only when supervised by his parents or me, our son is 4 and half. And it has taken me over a year to get him to pay child support which he does by deductions order because he did not want to pay me anything. he is now with another woman who has just come out of an eighteen year marriage which was also violent and up to a few weeks ago her ex husband beat her up and on another occasion she was arrested for attacking him with a steak knife.
My ex wants access to our son and to be on his own with him and his new partner which I do not agree with, I believe he cannot be trusted and neither can she and I do not want my son a party to any of it I believe he should have supervised visits until I am confident and also my son is confident to be alone with him.
my ex has told me that he is going to ring the csa and suspend my money until he takes me to court can he do this.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long has he been in this new relationship?
What contact has he had over the last six months
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he has been living with her for about 3-4 weeks now as her husband only left about 6 weeks ago but he has been have sexual relations with her for about 4-5 months he has had a handful of visits to his son at his parents house he doesn't like going there, In fact he has made arrangements to go and see my son there and then decided not to turn up. or go for a couple of hours and makes his excuses and leaves.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have also supervised a couple of outings with my ex and our son but my ex has always left early because he has something better to do and is always texting people or talking to them on the phone when he should be paying attention to his son

Have you considered using a Contact Centre?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I have considered it but I know my son would not want to be with his dad on his own unless I was there or his nan in the same room as him he doesn't like being with my ex on his own because he still remembers that daddy can be bad. Can he ring the child support though and stop my money if I don't allow him to see my son he says he has spoken to a barrister who says I am in the wrong and he needs to take me to court and to ring the csa to suspend any further payments can he do this

The CSA will not suspend payments because there is no contact so please do not worry about that.
Equally it is highly unlikely that the court will agree to contact in his home in the foreseeable future.
However it is highly likely that Contact will be ordered in a local Contact Centre to allow your ex to prove whether or not he is capable of building a relationship with the child
Most Contact Centres operate in a way that your child will NOT be on his own with his father at all - but if need be you could ask that your ex's mother also attends so that your son has a familiar face there
You could offer to discuss matters using Family mediation ( - but you certainly do not need to worry about the CSA
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it advisable that I keep all text messages that I have received from my ex and his new girlfriend some of them are unsavoury to mention also I have an email confirming that he and her would meet me to try and sort something out and so I could meet the new girlfriend and then for them to break the agreement.

You can do - but frankly given the history as a whole it is unlikely that they will be needed!
Make the offer to discuss matters using Family mediation and leave it at that!
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you