How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have told my husband I dont love him and want a separation

Customer Question

I have told my husband I don't love him and want a separation .He wants me to leave the house and children aged 16 and 19 so they can live with him. There is about £2,000 left to pay on the mortgage and the house is worth about £240,000. I have suggested joint custody of the children. Neither of us wants to leave the property but he says he doesn't have to do anything. He will not contemplate moving out. He refuses to live away for part of the week and me live away for the remainder of the week..thus leaving the children in their stable home but us not having to live in the same house together. I want to sell the house or him buy me out but he says he doesn't have to do anything. Where do I stand legally? I earn £8,000 per year and he earns £80,000 a year so without the money from the house I cannot afford to live or rent anywhere else.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What other assets are there (including pensions)
How much does a two bedroom property in a cheaper area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 2 small pensions - 11 years with British Rail as a clerk and 8 years part time as a teaching assistant - not sure of their worth. My husband(Chartered Mechanical Engineer) has a 20 year pension with British Steel and a 10 year pension with EDF Energy power station - worth a lot but don't know how much. We have approx £6,000 in savings. I would need a 3 bedroom house to enable both children to stay with me - my daughter needs somewhere to live when she is home from University. Cheapest I've looked at for 3 bedrooms is £130,000. That's around the same area to enable my son to go to the same college as planned in September 2014.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Are you willing to start Divorce proceedings?