How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, my friend is a singel mother, working and renting a flat.

This answer was rated:

Hi, my friend is a singel mother, working and renting a flat. The father of the baby is her ex boyfriend. He is holding her passport and telling her that she can't even take a baby to difrent county to visit family and friends. He was violent when they were together and she is scared and basically do whatever he wants. He doesn't want to pay for a baby as a little boy sleeps with his dad when she is working nights as a carer. She doesn't have enought money to pay for a lawyer as she has to pay for her flat and a baby. What would you advise?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and how many nights a week does he spend with the father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare.

The child is 6 years old. (7 in September).

She is working 5 nights and then 4 days off and then she is working for 4 nights and 5 days off. A little bit complicated, as sometimes the child will be 5 nights a week with his father and somethimes 2 nights.

Does he generally spend more nights with his father a month?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I will be 40% with mother (nights) and 60% with father (nights)

Just to check - dis you mean COUNTRY or COUNTY above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

County. So she lives in Yorksire and she would like to go to West sussex for a weekend. The Father said no.

She can go wherever she likes in the Uk - although she would need is permission to move out of England and Wales permanently
If she wishes to go abroad she will need either his father's agreement or an Order from the court - but she is likely to be successful if she simply wishes to go on holiday.
Since the child spends more nights with dad than with mum dad does not have to pay maintenance i am afraid
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so just to confirm, she dosen't need a premission from him if she wants to go to West Sussex for a weekend.

That is correct
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you