How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Since January 2014, my boyfriend has co-habited with me in

Customer Question

Since January 2014, my boyfriend has co-habited with me in a house that I own, which was transferred to my sole name after a divorce in 2008. The house was completely free of mortgage because this was paid off in around 2002. But my worry is that if I was to ever split up with my new boyfriend, surely he has no claim on my house, because he's never contributed to the mortgage., he seems under the impression that because his brother split with his girlfriend (they were co-habiting) and they had half and half, that this is the case with co-habiting couples, but they bought their house together in joint names and a joint mortgage, before splitting up which surely is a different situation - am I right please?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You are indeed correct.
So long as you do not let him pay for any improvement or alterations to the property, and he pays you no more that the local going rent - and you never let him pay the mortgage, he will not acquire any financial interest in the property - unless you get married!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details