How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi unfortunately my ex partner left me halfway through the

Customer Question

Hi unfortunately my ex partner left me halfway through the pregnancy of our 8 day old girl im finding things so difficult to get to see her. And she has refused to put my name on the birth certificate. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk are you in and what contact have you had so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Berkshire, and probably around half an hour. Thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What contact have you asked for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to see my daughter dont really care what days where or how long as long as I do I know my daughters only 8 days old but these days are important. And I strongly believe that every child deserves a father.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce that if necessary.
Whilst the baby is tiny little and regular is the pattern - so maybe a n hour twice a week, with the time growing as the baby grows
You can read more here
Your starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (
If that fails then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - which will be granted although you may have to settle for an hour a week at a local Contact Centre to start with.
You can read more about court applications here
Within the application you can also ask for a Parental Responsibility Order - but it would be sensible to ask for that to be reviewed after three months rather than asking for it immediately.
Please ask if you need further details