How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi my partner and I have split and we have an 16 mth old child.

Customer Question

hi my partner and I have split and we have an 16 mth old child. My partner is renting a room in a house of a woman whom I don't want to have contact with my child. my partner has had drink issues and has also done cannabis but now says he is not doing drugs.( Im not sure if he is or not) He has also threatened to abduct my child before. He hasn't bothered to see him before even though I have asked him to come and see him. Do I have to let my child go to him or can I arrange a contact centre?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is your objection to this woman?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi my ex partner and I split last month due to months of arguments over his drinking he was spending more time and money at the pub than with me and his son on many occasions I asked him to change his habits but didn't I left one Saturday when I picked him up the afternoon the next day from him drinking and we had a petty argument from which he though food all over me and slapped my glasses off my face and called me horrible and hurtful names. He lives in Cheshire and I have now moved back to London with my family. He has asked me to have our son next weekend up there at this woman's house who has 2 dogs one which I know is nasty towards children and the woman also smokes I don't like the idea of me sending my son to a woman's house he doesn't know and I also don't know what the house is like and the fact she has a a aggressive dog really worries me. I have no trust in my ex partner to not be drinking when my son goes to him and as I said previously he use to smoke canabis even though he has told me he has been clean for 4 weeks now. I just feel I'm at a lost end I don't want to stop my ex from seeing my son I just find it hard to trust he will be in safe hands with him.

Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Given the circumstances that you describe what he is asking for is not reasonable
It would certainly be reasonable for you to offer contact at a local Contact centre for the time being until matters are clearer
You should try and discuss this with your ex using Family mediation (
Do not be worried if your ex threatens you with a court application - you are being reasonable - he is not
You may find this site helpful
Please ask if you need further details