How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Need some advice on my rights please. Im married with 2boys

Customer Question

Need some advice on my rights please. I'm married with 2boys 8 and 12. I've always been pretty much a stay at home mum being the primary care giver as my husbands work keeps him fairly busy and until recently not had a huge amount of time for the kids. I've recently discovered/come out as gay my husband knows but he still wants to keep the family together we haven't had a proper relationship in over 5 years it has taken me a long time to come to terms with being gay but now feel I can't in the long term continue my life like this I have met someone and want to be with them but my kids are my first concern my mother and father have not taken the news well and have threatened to take me to court to get my kids of me apart from coming out as gay I'm a loving and caring mother. My main worry being has my mother and father got any grounds for this and also if my husband wants custody using the help of my mother and father do they have any stronger a case. Thank you for your advice and help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact have the children had with your parents over the years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
Thanks for getting back to me. They do have a lot of contact seeing them almost daily and have done for several years as they live almost next door. My mum suffers from bad health and realistically can't cope with them as much as she use to. They are close and I would never let our problems interfere with them seeing the kids as I said my kids come first their happiness is the most important thing to me.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jen
Please do not worry about your parents - they would stand no chance whatsoever
The only person who has the chance of making an application regarding how the children's care is shared between you is their father.
It is expected that parents will agree how the child's time is shared between them - and only if no agreement can be reached using Family mediation ( is the court involved with either parent being able to make an application
Your sexual orientation is not likely to be seen as relevant to the issue these days
Please ask if you need further details