How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and his partner split up nearly 2 years ago since then

Customer Question

My son and his partner split up nearly 2 years ago since then he has had his daughter every Wednesday night over night and from Friday tea time till Sunday evening. His ex is now saying he does not want her to have his daughter over night any more. The reason given is he moved back in with us 6 months ago and thinks she is starting to look upon her grandparents as parents. My son is always here with her when she is here as both myself and my partner work Saturdays . What does my son need to do to keep the level of contact he has now. There is no formal agreement in place just verbal.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and which area of the Uk are you in
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is 3 years old and we live in Derbyshire
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
His ex is being unreasonable - but then you knew that!
His starting point is to try and discuss matters with his ex using Family mediation (
If that is not successful then he can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order which sets out his existing level of contact and which will be enforceable
He can read more about court applications here
Please ask if you need further details