How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi is it a good idea to get a court order for a deed poll

This answer was rated:

Hi is it a good idea to get a court order for a deed poll change of my 3 year old sons name. His father has not been around for 2 years. Not been married and there is a Injunction in place and a social service protection order for my son. I would like to change his name on the Birth Certificate and to get a Passport for him. Please could you advise me .

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is the father named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi clare yes he is

I am afraid that the Birth Certificate cannot be changed.
You will also need to apply to the Court for an Order allowing you to change your child's name since I suspect that it is unlikely that the father will agree to the change.
However once the Court Order is in place you will be able to change the child's name and have a passport in the new name.
If your ex tries to oppose the change of name then you could threaten to apply for the removal of his parental Responsibility - it is rarely done but your reference to Social Services makes it possible that your case is extreme and you could be one of the rare cases
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi clare I have just filled in a c1 form section 8 children's act . I have just filled out a c1 form section 8 children's act. I want sole Parental Responsibility and a Change Of Name Order. Have I got Sole Care as my Son is looked after by myself. As said before I have a Injunction Non Molestation order 2 years ago and just got another 4 Weeks ago to start from 14 August for 2 more years. All for Abuse and Violence against myself. A Prohibited Steps Order is in place since July last year .Is

You already have Parental Responsibility for the child - you have had it since the moment of her birth.
The form you need is here
All you are asking for is permission to change the child's name
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you