How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son & his partner are on shaky ground and she keeps saying

This answer was rated:

My son & his partner are on shaky ground and she keeps saying that she is going to leave & take their 11 week old twins with her. Can he do anything to stop her? His name is ***** ***** birth certificate & they are living in his house. I am hoping that she is suffering from post natal depression but she use to threaten to leave every so often before they were born when he didn't agree with her on something!
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where does she threaten to go?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She threatens to take them to her mothers which is about 15mins from where they live in the Uk.
She is a very volatile person, she is always right and it's her way or no way & the babies have become her weapon to get what she wants! She also lies through her teeth!
Her reasons are that he doesn't do enough around the house!
He works full time 8am - 6.00pm then comes home helps with the girls & tea. By which time it's 9.00pm she then wants him to do housework etc. he also helps with night feeds.
She has him quaking in his boots if she goes out & he hasn't done the list of jobs she has left him. I fear for his sanity & the safety of my granddaughters.
His daughters are his world or he would of gone long ago!
What exactly would you like to know about his position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where he stands with the children. If he was to leave could he take the girls or can he stop her taking them?
She says she loves them but it is all very forced & false!
Is there anything we can do to stop it happening in the future?
The babies are tiny at at present their mother is the main carer so if your son tried to remove them from her care she would be able to obtain a Court Order stating that the children live with her - and limiting his contact with them as a result of his actions.
HOWEVER that does not mean that your son is trapped.
There is a clear understanding that children need both parents and arrangements where children spend time with both parents are becoming more common
Whilst they remain together he needs to encourage her to have breaks away from the babies - nights out - a weekend off so that he can establish that he has cared for the children overnight in the event that they do separate.
If they do separate then he and his ex will have to use Family mediation ( to negotiate a shared care arrangement
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is all very well!
She is now saying that he has lost his chance to look after them as he had to ask me round to help (which is untrue he thought it would nice for me & him to spend some time together with the girls. All I did was to have a cuddle & push the buggy as any new grandparent would he did everything else that was needed).
She has got him to the point where he is scared to do anything in case it's wrong. It broke my heart to see him quaking in his boots cause she was on her way home & the girls were crying cause they both wanted feeding & only my son or his partner are allowed to feed them.
Everything is her way or no way!
What ever he does is wrong!
I don't know what else to do. If he leaves then he could loose the girls & I don't think he could live with that. She would make sure of it!
Any advice of what to do next?
The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary so there is no question of him loosing in the children.
However he may wish to discuss with the Heath Visitor whether or not his partner may have Post Natal depression which could be the cause of the over reacting
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you