How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have just separated from my husband,I have two children from

This answer was rated:

I have just separated from my husband,I have two children from a previous relationship.
The house is in my own name and I have supported my husband financially for 6 years. For two of those years he worked part time but I received no money from him. Is he entitled to anything? Thankyou
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How long have you lived together and what other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband has no income as he hasn't worked since February, my income is £13,000 pa.I have supported him for six years financially. The house is worth approx £220k with an outstanding mortgage of £75k. No other assets.
How long have you lived together in total and how old are your children?\What does he earn when he is in work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have lived together for six years,my children are fourteen and eleven. When in work ( he has never been made redundant but chooses not to work ) the most he has earnt is £8000 in a year,over the six years it has been approx 12,000.
Thank you for that - it is very helpful
Just to check - it is part of the picture - how much would a cheaper three bedroom terrace cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live I a three bedroom terrace
A six year relationship does give your ex a potential financial claim on the matrimonial home (hence the query about a cheaper property)
Since he made no financial contribution and your relationship was on the shorter side of medium length his claim is not a large one - maybe 10% of the equity (possibly 15% but that is doubtful)
However the priority remains the housing needs of your children and it is clear that you have little chance of raising further funds - so your ex will have to wait for his money until your youngest is 18
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you