How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Hi I have received a divorce petition today that is full of

This answer was rated:

Hi I have received a divorce petition today that is full of lies, half truths and twisted opinions. I am more than willing to agree to divorce but am not willing to accept the reasons stated as they put me in an extremely bad light. What can I do to give my point of view?
My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.
First, let me ask a further question: were you shown a draft of the petition (or the particulars to which you object) before it was filed with the Court?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I wasn't shown a draft as it says she was too scared to. She is siting me for emotional abuse although most of what is said is either lies or things half told and out of context. I am happy to divorce but not on these grounds as there is a lot more to it than is being said. Obviously there are two sides of every story and I could give many examples of things that would suggest that in fact I received emotional abuse in addition to extremely interfering parents. I have also come out of the marriage in major deficit financially.

Her solicitor should have sent you the petition in draft for your comments. You have two main options.
1. You can write to them with an amended version of the particulars which you would be prepared to accept, and invite them to change them (at no cost to you) and reserve an Amended Petition. You should make it clear that if they don't agree to do that, you will defend the petition, and file your own cross-petition based on her unreasonable behaviour.
2. You could write to them to say that you do not accept that the particulars are accurate, but that if they are prepared to send you an open letter stating that she accepts that the particulars are not representative of your behaviour and that she will not seek to rely on them in any other proceedings, then you will consent to the divorce. Otherwise you will take the same action as in (2) above.
Whichever you choose, you should make a decision fairly swiftly and get back to them soon.
I hope that is helpful.
familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you