How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

Hi, i have just split from my partner, she was pregnant when

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have just split from my partner, she was pregnant when i met her, we were friends and nothing happened till after the birth of her daughter, we have been together since then, i have provided and cared for the little girl as if she were my own, she calls me dad, she is 7 this week, i havn't been allowed any access for 2 weeks now, do i have any legal right to see her?
thank you
Hello and thanks for your question.

Even thoough you are not the biological dad, you are entitled to apply to court for a child arrrangements order for contact, because the child has lived with you for the last 3 years.

Whether or not the court would grant you a contact order would depend on what was right for the welfare of that particular child, and not on who shouts the loudest. The court would consider her relationship with you, whether the child would be safe and happy and properly looked after in your care, how often and for how long for each time, and whether your contact should be supervised or not, face-to-face or indirect.

So, yes, if everything between you and this little girl was good, then i think the court would be sympathetic to your application.

You need to apply on form C100, here:-

The court fee is £215.

However, going to court is stressful, time-consuming and expensive, so if you can negotiate an arranegment between you and the child's mother. that's preferable. Yiou can negotiate either between the two of you, or via solicitors' correspondence, or via mediation. The family court anyway now requires the parties to have attempted mediation before it will consider an application to court, so here's where to find a local family mediation service:-

I think you would benefit from some face-to-face legal advice - here's where to find a specialist family law solicitor near you:-

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help, it has put my mind as ease a little, not seeing her is killing me and I've been told shes been asking about me, the whole thing is a mess but hopefully i will get some access to see her

You're very welcome. Do go and see a solicitor and they can help you get the ball rolling.

best wishes....