How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Our son has two children,aged 16yrs and19yrs.He has been paying

Customer Question

Our son has two children,aged 16yrs and19yrs.He has been paying one third of his salary for child support for 13yrs through the CSA without any arrears.The eldest child has finished college and has started work full time, not an apprenticeship.Our son was under the impression that the child support he pays would be reduced as his eldest child is now working, however the CSA have informed him that he will have to continue paying a third of his salary until the youngest child is 19yrs.He has also been informed by the CSA that he will have to pay an additional 20% of maintenance on top due a new system coming into force, is this the case.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Can you confirm the year the CSA were first involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The year CSA were involved was 2001 to 2002,our sons ex wife wanted payment this way.Our son wants the CSA to transfer his payments over to a new system which would reduce his monthly payments from £697 per month to around £280 plus 20% admin charge. However his ex wife is having none of it even though our grandson is willing to pay for his keep. Our son has been in touch with the independent case examiner and is badgering the CSA and is now waiting for them to come back to him in approx.3 weeks time.This is a great worry to myself aged 76yrs and my wife aged 72 years. Our son lives alone but has a lovely lady in his life now and they want a life together but he wants to sort out the financial part of his life first.He works hard as a science teacher and is a great dad and son. How can we push the CSA to put him onto the new system now instead of the 5years time they have told him. By the way he has never been in arrears.We cannot afford to pay you any more money than the £33 but any help will be so very much appreciated. thank you Clare so much

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The news is not great I am afraid.
They are rolling out the move to the new system over the next four years so it is highly unlikely to help your son - and there is no way of forcing the issue I am afraid.
However he will not necessarily have to pay the "extra" 20% - that will only be payable if he ex will not accept direct payments (which will also cost her some of her maintenance)
Your son can get help and support AND check that the amount that he is paying the correct amount from the website here
Please ask if you need further details