How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A father has obtained a residence order for his 2 children

This answer was rated:

A father has obtained a residence order for his 2 children (ages 5 and 4) to live with him, without access by the mother, who is a feckless drug-abuser. But now he faces some £7000 in court costs and solicitors' fees. He is a self-employed electrician whose working hours are now much reduced by the need to give time to care for the children. He is in despair over how to raise this kind of money. We (his friends in Preston, Lancs) have collected £700 towards helping him, but this is only 1/10th of what he owes. Apart from Legal Aid (now much reduced in scope) please advise what sources of financial help (e.g. charities) might be worth applying to.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When did the case start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

In terms of legal proceedings, I think the case started early this year 2014.

Before that there were lengthy efforts to get social workers to see the neglectful attitude of the mother.

The father is proudly reluctant to accept financial assistance from friends, so we are having to move as tactfully as possible.

Sorry for delay in responding to your first request for more information. I hope you can help.


Might I ask if you have seen the bills - they seem rather high
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I've not seen the bills; but this is a friend of 30 years' standing who has always been truthful hitherto.


The problem is that it is unlikely that a Solicitor would have allowed such a considerable bill to have run up unpaid
In addition whilst it is true that legal aid is now very limited your friend would have known that from the very beginning (that is when the matter is dealt with) and I am surprised that he did not ask for assistance at that point
The problem is that if he had sought assistance before the bill was incurred then there may have been (limited) options - but there are no sources of funding available at this point.
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you