How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

i am paying child maintenance for my 18 yr old who has failed

Customer Question

i am paying child maintenance for my 18 yr old who has failed at school and then gone on to work at a gym and gain an apprenticeship, she has been sacked from they gym around 2 mths ago and is now working part-time as a lifeguard. I don't know how many hours she does as she won't tell me and my ex and i don't speak. i have had a call this week stating that she has enrolled for a college course to start in September so i must pay maintenance and pay for last month (i cancelled the dd). I also know that my daughter has not slept at home for 5 months now as she stays at her boyfriends families home (i only know this from her Twitter account as she has stated it on there. Should i be paying maintenance when she is working now and should i be paying it if she is not staying at her mums? i can't get advice from the csa the cab or the cba - i don't know which way to turn?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Are you in Scotland or England?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are in England

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do need some advice on this and this is proving hard to get from anywhere so i would like some advice - can i now turn this into an urgent request as i has been a while and i am no further forward.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you pay via the CSA or a Court Order?
When did she actually leave school?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Via the CSA. She left school (6th form) in July 2013. She failed all her exams and her attitude to school was poor. She then gained an apprenticeship at a local gym and studied for an NVQ but was sacked due to her attitude/behaviour and no interest in the course. Since then she is now working part - time as a life guard and has enrolled for a similar course to what she was doing at the gym which i feel sure she has no intention of completing. I have little and strained contact with my daughter and none with her mother.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How many hours a week will the course involve?