How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi my dad is leaving me his house in his will but hes putting

This answer was rated:

Hi my dad is leaving me his house in his will but he's putting a covedent on it what does this mean please
Thank you for your question.
Do you mean a covenant? A covenant is a restriction on the title or on the use of the property.
What does your father intend here?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi what he's saying is he wants to stay in family me then my son then his children but where the house is I would not want to live so I'm asking can I sale it or buy a house with that one as guarantor or sale it at any point later in life thanks you
If he creates a trust then you would be restricted on how you could dispose of the property. Normally a legacy of a house in a will would be quite straightforward and the beneficiary could do what he or she wanted with the bequest.
However, if conditions are attached and the will actually creates a trust restricting the disposal of the property then you will be restricted in whether and how you can dispose of the property.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's saying that it has to be past down to my son ect but can I mortgage to buy another house on that property
If the title is to go in your name, then yes you could.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it will be in my name but what if my son god forbids dies before me what's happens when I die? With the house
If that happens, then the house would pass according to your will.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you