How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I have been married to my husband for three years with

This answer was rated:

I have been married to my husband for three years with two Children, i recently found out that my husband was a divorcee at the time of our marriage after i found the divorce certificate, which meant that he lied to the registrar under oath.
This has caused a strain in our relationship however i would like to get this information rectified.
what are the implications to him, secondly is it possible to get this information changed, if Yes, How do i go about it.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask why you wish to amend the Certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
Thanks for your response, I was concerned when I didn't get response yesterday given that I was informed the expert was available at the time i contacted justask.
Our initial plan was to move back to Germany before this findings, moving back to Germany will require us obtaining a passport for my last child since my husband is German.
Apparently this divorce happened in Germany and our application will need to be tendered at German embassy in London
The single status on the marriage certificate could be questioned given that the divorce occurred in Germany.
Whilst it is an offence to lie in such circumstances it does not invalidate the marriage and neither is it likely that any action would be taken against your husband.
If you are certain that you wish to correct the order then you need to apply to the General Registrars Office
Details here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you