How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

My daughter died two weeks ago. I write this on behalf of

My daughter died two weeks... Show More
My daughter died two weeks ago. I write this on behalf of her partner, Darren. They have a 9yr old daughter together but her dad's name isn't on the birth certificate and I understand that my daughter was the only person with Parental Rights because of this. They were never married but lived together for seven years up until her death. Although they were never married I view Darren as my son in law and will continue to support him emotionally and practically. My question is, does he have to do anything to cement his legal position or does he automatically get PRs as he is my granddaughter's only surviving biological parent.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I am so very very sorry for your loss
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Was a DNA test ever done (this is about evidence for court - nothing else at all)
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

HI Clare, thank you for your thoughts. It still doesn't seem real.

No DNA but there was never a dispute that Darren is Molli's biological father.

It won't for a very long time
The father does have to take action to get Parental Responsibility for the child I am afraid.
He needs to apply to the Court for a Parental Responsibility Order - the form is here
The cost is £215.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details